Monday

Career Opportunities.



(or how the course of your life can hinge on a single unexpected phone call.)



Trrrrllll Trrrrlll.

The telephone was ringing.

“Hello!” I answered as I lifted the receiver to my ear.

A confident and businesslike yet mellifluous voice oozed from the earpiece.

“Is that Rudi Somerlove.”

“Yes” I responded affirmatively ‘Yes it is. Who is this?”

“Oh Hi, my name’s Charlotte Menzies. I work for an employment agency called Woodley Park Associates.”

“Hello Charlotte!”

“I was wondering how you are fixed for work at the moment?”

“Actually pretty good”, I replied “I’ve just recently started a new contract with British Gas."

“Oh that’s a shame”, Charlotte sounded disappointed “I have the perfect job here for you, their requirements match your C.V. like hand in glove…and it’s in Holland, well Rotterdam to be more precise.”

“Tell me some more”, I said. My curiosity aroused by the word ‘Holland’.

“Well it’s a long term contract working for a large Dutch bank, very attractive daily rate, thirty seven and a half hour week and like I said your qualifications and experience are absolutely perfect for this position. Are you interested?”

“Mmmm sounds really good but as I said I’ve just started a new contract with British Gas, the first day was last Monday actually.”

“Shame, because you are sooooo perfect for this.”

I silently cursed my luck. This is typical; I’d waited for ages for the British Gas contract and now that I’ve already started it something better comes along. Honestly they’re like buses, these contracts, you wait ages and then two turn up at once. Bugger!

“Yes it is a shame” I said “If only you’d rung a month ago; I’d have jumped at the chance to work in Holland. Oh well, never mind, that’s just my luck I suppose!”

“Ok then if I can’t persuade you I’ll just have to find someone else, but I doubt I’ll get someone as perfect a fit as you.”

“I’m sorry. Thanks for letting me know though, hopefully you’ll find something just as good for me once this British Gas contract finishes. Keep in touch, you never know.”

“Yes I will. OK, thanks anyway Rudi. Bye!”

The click of her replacing her receiver seemed to echo around my head, followed quickly by the dial tone buzzing noisily in my ear. I was still holding the receiver, clamped to the side of my face, in a trance. Did that just happen? Did I just turn down the chance to work in Holland? I must be mad! I started hitting the side of my head with the receiver repeatedly before putting it back firmly in the cradle where it belonged. Am I crazy? What did I just do? I stumbled out into the garden for a cigarette and tried to think through exactly what had just happened.

Holland, or more correctly The Netherlands had been my favourite European country for a long time now. Ever since my first visit on a family holiday when I was 10 years old and we visited family friends in Den Haag (The Hague) and camped briefly at Duinrell. Subsequently I’d revisited it several times since.

At the age of 19 a weekend trip to Amsterdam organised by the Students' Union at college had rekindled my love affair with the land of tulips and windmills, of course I found the Van Gogh Museum interesting but not half as interesting as the gorgeously painted ladies in the windows at De Wallen. Getting ripped-off buying liquorice instead of hashish from one of the copious and persistent street dealers hadn’t soured the experience either; it just made me much more wary for the next time (and somehow I knew there’d soon be a next time). After that there were in fact many trips over the years. Usually just weekends away here and there, but once to Utrecht.; an interesting detour (and a little bit of business) whilst ultimately hitchhiking to the South of France (again). Then there was a weekend with a band to see if we could get any gigs in Amsterdam, and also New Year’s Eve 1989 with my best buddy Paul and our respective girlfriends. Plus a ‘secret dirty weekend’ away with my company receptionist during a very brief love affair. All these varied occasions and also several soft drug and booze fuelled ‘Stag Weekends’ with family, friends and friends of friends. During these I’d use my considerable experience of navigating the city of Amsterdam to guide those that were less experienced around ‘Sin City’. So, by the time I was in my thirties, I felt I knew Amsterdam and the Netherlands pretty well and could even speak a couple of sentences of Dutch.

My experiences were always positive. I loved the people and the culture and the liberal attitude in Amsterdam. So different from the oppressive class-based restrictions I felt back in the U.K. I used to relish the walk towards Dam Square along the Damrak from Centraal Station; I’d always ask the rhetorical question to whosoever was with me at the time “Can’t you just taste the freedom in the air?” It was regularly the precursor to a few wonderful and fun-packed days. So, why all of a sudden was I quite readily declining the chance to live and work for a short time in my most favourite place in the entire world?

I’d been ‘resting’ for a while in-between contracts and I was so grateful that I now, at last, had well paid work with a large corporation again that I really felt like I shouldn’t push my luck. I stood there smoking a second cigarette whilst I mulled over my current situation. Cogitating intensely as I watched the wispy white smoke curling gently away from the burning tip.

There was no getting away from the fact that I’d already started a contract at British Gas although I’d actually only been there a week. I already felt a strong sense of loyalty to continue along the path I’d chosen, almost certainly misplaced, but professionally I felt that it was the right thing to do. I’m really not a flaky sort of person. Once I’m committed to something that’s it, for better or worse I’ll see it through. Then suddenly it struck me, I’d not yet actually signed the contract. Oh my goodness, there may be a way I can actually do this and keep my integrity intact.

My current agent had got me the position on the basis that there was an urgent requirement and I could start almost immediately. The paperwork still hadn’t been finalised and was sitting in the bureaucracy of British Gas’s administration system. Most likely awaiting authorisation, rubber stamping or whatever they had to do before I finally put my signature to it. So actually I didn’t have any legal obligation to continue at all. I pondered the ethics of the situation thoroughly, I didn’t owe the agent anything and he’d at least get a commission on the week I’d already been in the job. I certainly didn’t owe British Gas anything, except gratitude for taking me on. I’m sure it happens all the time, people start at a company and then realise that they actually don’t like the ambience; their prospective colleagues; the state of the offices; the demands of the boss; or indeed find that they have actually been presented with a better offer elsewhere.

A wide grin spread across my face as slowly I began to realise that indeed what I’d previously thought impossible, might actually be possible after all. I made a beeline for the phone; entered the code to find the last received call details and hurriedly pushed the send button. A ringing tone came from the receiver then a click as it was picked up on the other end.

“Woodley Park Associates, foreign contracts, Charlotte speaking!”

“Hello Charlotte, it’s Rudi Somerlove, we spoke a short while ago about the contract in Rotterdam. Have you found anyone else yet!?"

I tried not to sound too desperate.

“Hello Rudi! No not yet. Actually I’m just trawling through some of the other C.V’s. now.”

“Charlotte. Stop right there. I might just be interested after all….”

Eleven years later and I'm still here! Proving that the course of your life can hinge on a single unexpected phone call.

4 comments:

No Good Boyo said...

Thanks for dropping my my blog, Rudi. I'm exploring yours with mounting and messy pleasure. Any fan of Prefab Sprout and Twin Town is worthy of a double helping of half-and-half.

Rudi Somerlove said...

Diolch yn fawr! NGB. Hope you enjoy mine as much as I enjoy yours. Tidy.

Textual Healer said...

I liked this entry. Do you still feel the same way about the NL now? And you're a Twin Town fan? My favourite movie of all time....

Rudi Somerlove said...

Nick,

Thanks for your feedback and nice to hear from you again. Life has been somewhat different for me of late, and blogging has taken a back seat.

Well I'm still here in the Flatlands and whenever I return to Blighty I last about a week before I'm pining for the polders again, so I would say I do still feel the same way.

However of late I'll admit I've been thinking about moving elsewhere, further south, mainly for the weather as these old bones of mine seem to fare much better in warmer climes. My love affair with Holland hasn't ended just evolved to the extent where I feel we are both mature enough to have a more open relationship ;?])

Always a pleasure to hear your comments,

Rudi