Sunday

Andy Weatherall R.I.P...







So, an old school friend just informed me of Andy Weatherall's death.
We both had the privilege of attending the same school as Andy in Windsor, although he was in the year above us. He would hang around the Art Room where we also had a hangout in the annex known as the 'Printing Room' on the premise of 'caring for' the press.
He caught me on a project once painting a bright orange t-shirt in fabric paint with all the logo's of my favourite bands. He berated me for including Blondie and the Boomtown Rats along with The Clash and SeX PisToLs, his idea of cool being more 'selective' than mine.
We attended the same youth club, know as the 'Boys Club' run by an awfully effeminate man who reeked of controversy (well it was the 70s!). Andrew would often DJ there and I cultivated a love for the band Thin Lizzy because he would regularly play them in his set.
Later he would DJ at my then girlfriend's sweet sixteen party, which led on to me giving him a DJ gig at my college as I was then Social Secretary of the Students' Union.
I also interviewed him for the student magazine, under the pseudonym 'Bob Noxious', in one of his first bands called 'The Other Side' and saw him perform with his first band (maybe) 'A Fractured Touch' (photocopies attached).
Later on, as a fellow frequenter of 'The Adam and Eve', Windsor's trendiest pub in the early 80s, I would often join him and his posse on after pub excursions to The Mudd Club or the Wag Club in London's West End.
So our paths crossed many times and although I never got to call him a friend, he always had my deepest respect as a musical encyclopedia filled with eclectic and awe inspiring sounds, with a knack for spotting the über cool both in fashion and music.
This morning's news came as a bit of a shock, not least because as I'm just a year younger, the grim reaper is becoming more apparent and unfortunately he joins a recent toll of many with whom I shared a 'youth'.
Andy made himself a legend as a pioneer 'Acid House' DJ at the onset of the second Summer of Love and later with Primal Scream's 'Loaded' a remix of a much less appealing track that the band sent to him.
His genius as an artist, in every sense of the word, was evident every step of the way and yet, poised to make millions and become 'the next big thing', he shunned anything which did not resonate with him. Maintaining an integrity and underground vibe to everything he accomplished.
Here's to you Andy Weatherall. You will be sorely missed!
R.I.P. One Lone Swordsman 😪🙏😎

No comments: